Building Permits

City of Superior Building Inspection has moved to a new online permitting system as of 6/22/2021. As a result, the department is no longer using nor accepting paper applications. For instructions on how to apply for a permit at this time, please email the Building Inspection office at , or call at 715-395-7288 .

Self Service Portal

Required Building Permits

***All plans must be submitted in digital form, in addition to paper. Please provide a CD, or email plans to *** 

 Please allow 10 business days for permit application review and approval.

Building permits are documents that are obtained authorizing the start of construction or remodeling of a building in the City of Superior. The types of permits that may be required are as follows:

  • Building Permit

    New construction, additions, alterations, repairs to either residential or non-residential buildings. This includes sheds and fences.
  • Electrical Permit

    New installations, additions, extension, alterations, changes, and fire and accident repairs of any electrical wiring and electrical equipment associated with a structure or project. For convenience, the wiring, fixtures, and furnaces may be combined on one permit if they are included on the original application. 
  • Erosion Control Permit

    For all projects resulting in land disturbing activities.
  • Excavation Permit

    For any excavation within the City.
  • Mechanical Permit New installations, alterations, repair, replacement, remodel and/or removal of duct work, heating, venting, or air conditioning equipment (HVAC) for each separate building or structure involved in the project.
  • Plumbing Permit

    New installation, removal, alterations, repair, or replacement of any plumbing, gas, or drainage piping work, or any fixture or water heater or treating equipment in a building or premise. A separate permit is required for each building or structure.
  • Post-Construction Stormwater Management Permit

    For projects that will disturb an acre or more of land OR result in an addition of 20,000 square feet or more of impervious area.
  • Razing Permit (Demolition) A separate permit is required for each building or structure that is removed from the premises.
  • Sign Permit New installations, alterations, repair or replacement of free-standing or building-fastened signage.